If you or a loved one has sustained a significant injury, we know how overwhelming it can be to find the right attorney for your personal injury case. You’re likely familiar with the billboards and late-night television ads for personal injury lawyers. Maybe you’ve even done a quick Google search for the “best lawyer in Atlanta.” How can you narrow down the firms and find the best personal injury lawyer for your case?
The lawyer you work with is an important decision that will impact the success of your case, ongoing financial stability and rehabilitation options. Here are a few places to start in your decision-making process.
- Research and make a list: Look up personal injury lawyers in your area and make a list of potential candidates. You can use online directories or search engines or ask for recommendations from friends, family members, or other attorneys. For people seeking legal counsel in Atlanta, the Atlanta Bar Association can be a helpful resource. It has a referral program to help you find a qualified lawyer to work on your case.
- Check their credentials: Once you have a list of potential candidates, check their credentials, such as their education, experience, and professional memberships. You can usually find this information on their website or by contacting their office. Look for attorneys that specialize in personal injury law and have a track record of taking cases like yours to a jury trial and winning them. It’s also a good idea to look for attorneys that are active in industry associations, like the American Association for Justice, Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, and the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys.
- Read reviews and testimonials: Look for online reviews and testimonials from past clients to get an idea of their experience working with the lawyer. If these testimonials and reviews aren’t easily found online, you can ask the lawyer for references from past clients or co-counsel legal professionals. You can also check with your state bar association to see if the lawyer has any disciplinary actions or complaints filed against them.
- Schedule consultations: After narrowing down your list, schedule consultations with each lawyer or their staff to discuss your case and get a sense of their communication style and approach. During this conversation, you’ll also want to inquire about their specific experience. For medical malpractice and catastrophic injury cases, you want an experienced legal team that has successfully navigated complex medical cases. And because not every case goes to trial, you’ll want to confirm what litigation experience the attorney has so that your case is in the right hands if it makes it into a courtroom.
- Consider the fees: Finally, consider the lawyer’s fees and how they are structured. Virtually all personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis, which means they get paid only if you receive a settlement or a jury award. Talk to the lawyer about their fee structure and their expectations for your case.
Finding the right personal injury lawyer for your case is a very personal decision. The search can take a bit of time and effort, but it is essential to do your due diligence to ensure you get the best possible outcome for your case.
The Bell Law Firm represents clients who have suffered death or catastrophic injury in medical malpractice and other personal injury cases. To contact us for a consultation, visit our Contact Us page